Friday, December 23, 2011

Lasagna - My way :)

LASAGNA - is comfort food for me. Not that it is any easier to make, the process itself is stage wise just as it is layered to bake. Every layer is special....and when the kids love it - I can be dead sure there won't be any leftovers.
The pantry clean up exercise was on and as a result, some store bought stuff/packs got used up. 

There are varied recipes for lasagna & have tried many versions that I found online.But for now,this is how I made it, hence the title.
Step 1: THE WHITE SAUCE
This is Bechamel, that I made as instructed on the pack to make the white sauce. Add a dash of grated nutmeg to it. set aside. Keep it covered, whisk in between so that it doesn't gather a thick layer.

Step 2: THE RED SAUCE
  • Pound together a 1/4 tsp each of fennel & cumin seeds.Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the powder to it. Now add about 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic and 3 medium sized onions finely chopped.Saute until they turn pale.
  • Add a teaspoon of tomato paste,mix well. Add 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped. Add salt as appropriate and let the tomatoes cook well.
  • Now add 300 gms of minced chicken, on high heat cook well.This doesn't take long as the mince cooks real fast , add 3 tablespoons of tomato and basil sauce. Garnish with crushed pepper and chopped parsley or fresh coriander.

Step 3: THE LAYERING
  •  Boil water with salt in it and add the lasagna sheets to it. I usually cook this till the sheets loses the stiffness. Remove and place them on a kitchen towel to dry out the water on the sheets.The sheets would cook completely while baking between the layer of sauces and cheese.
  • I have used a square shaped oven proof dish and smeared it with butter at the bottom. First layer is the red sauce. Place the lasagna sheets to fit the dish. 
  • Cover the sheets with a  layer of white sauce - Two tablespoons of Sun dried tomato Alfredo sauce & sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it.
  • Fill in the red sauce as it covers all sides, lasagna sheets, white sauces and Parmesan cheese. 
  • Now for the last layer of red sauce - use it completely- cover it up with grated mozzarella cheese & sprinkle dried oregano on it.


Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius ( on a gas oven) and set it to bake for about 15 - 20 minutes. Once the cheese has melted - switch off the oven and switch on the grill , keep a watch - till the cheese starts to brown , not more than 4 minutes.

Let it rest for another 15 minutes before serving. 

I could not manage more pics of the servings as my son gets quite restless when I take pics - he just can't wait.............yet that's the slice.!! 

The love for lasagna started from reading Garfield, I found this cute pic from Google images and the Garfield quote I quite remembered :) His quotes and the related expressions are always cute !
When the lasagna content in my blood gets low, I get mean.
I link this post to Christmas Delicacy hosted by Julie & Bake with your Heart hosted by Khushi.


6 comments:

  1. yummilicious cheesy affair....loved it
    do participate in the event
    Bake with your heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAsagna was made it in my way too...luv the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks so sinfully mouthwateringly deliciously tempting, vidhya! Also appreciate you for being able to take step by step pics....like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. first time in your space....wow...i just loved this lasanga recipe......looks so tempting and mouth watering...I'm ur new follower now....do visit my space in your free time :-) wishing u n ur family a merry christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Sumptious lasagna n tempting to!!
    Thanx a lot for linking it to my event
    Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete